Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tiny Jumping Bugs

I have received about 3 calls for these in my first fifteen years in this business, then the other day I got two calls in one day. We went to the first job, because the customer had said they had a flea problem. I asked if they had any pets and they told me they had dogs and cats, so a flea problem made sense. We got our flea stuff together and headed out. When we arrived, we were met outside by the customer who took us around to the back of the house and pointed out that they had been seeing them clustered, inside and outside, where a sun room met the house. Clustered? Outside? Immediately, I began to dismiss the possibility of fleas, because they are not normally seen outside and don't cluster together. We went inside, and sure enough there were some crawling on the floor. I got down and looked closer. I touched one, and it jumped about three inches, just like a flea. I immediately knew what we had. They were "Springtails". These are very tiny insects, actually about half the size of a flea. They have a appendage on their "rear end", called a "furcula", that will snap down and allow them to be "thrown" quite a distance.There are about 700 different species of them in North America. One species is the "snow flea'. This is one of the only insects that are active when snow is still on the ground in the spring. They are black and sometimes huge numbers of them can be found on top of the snow. Normally, Springtails live outside in decaying organic matter where they feed on fungi, mold, and bacteria. Occasionally they will come inside. The problem inside is usually high humidity. There is really no need to treat them with pesticides, because they are just a nuisance, and won't get into food and they don't bite or sting. Setting up a dehumidifier will usually solve the problem. When the second customer
called, I was able to explain to her over the phone what her problem was and how to take care of it. Knowing what they were from her description saved me the trip.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jon -

    Are these bugs teeny, teeny, about a third or a quarter the size of a flea? I found this cluster of grey matter outside my garage on the cement sidewalk and thought it was just a bunch of dirt. When I looked closer, I could see them milling around and around and "jumping" almost like a flea does, but not nearly as far. They are strewn out along the front of my garage. I've never seen them before in the 9 years we've lived in our house. [I live in Washington state and it's quite damp here (we live in a wooded area).] I've been trying to identify them on the internet, but your description seems to be the closest I've come to possibly identifying them. Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without actually seeing them, from your description, I would have to guess that you have one of the many species of these. As I said they are totally harmless and are just a nuisance. They can be sprayed with an over the counter insect spray, but they may come back.
    Hope this helps.
    Post a comment just to let me know you got this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in a large carpeted room with finished walls in a relative basement. I have some sort of non visible jumping bug or insect all over the place. I have tried vacuuming, dehumidifying, spraying, bombing, dusting, and professional exterminators. I even sealed between the carpet and the baseboard and the baseboard and the wall. I have built furniture so that nothing is covering the carpet completely, I have even tried screaming at them. Nothing seems to work. They are still here. And I know that people have told me that they are spring tails and that they don't bite but these actually bite. Even as I write this to you they are jumping on me. I have a bird but she lives in another room and is not being bothered by them. There is a dog but he lives upstairs and can't down to where I am. What ever these are they don't live upstairs only where I am. Please please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem, have you found a cure yet.

      Delete
  4. The trap crop must be more attractive to the pest than the main crop, should occupy a small area as far as possible and must be established at an early or later stage or along with the main crop.

    Carpet Cleaning | Pest Control

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please help me! I have had these in my house for 2 season now, I do the dehumidifier an only helps a little is there anything else I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH! Thank you so much!!! That I have found this page, my hair will remain on my head. I have been so aggravated from these stupid, annoying little bugs that have taken my kitchen hostage. Springtails!! I thank you again for telling me the names of these terrible bugs. Now to get my dehumidifier out. Muhaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am searching for Deemak Control in Lahore over the Internet I found your blog can you refer me best Termite Control in Lahore? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pest Control Service in homes and industries is the best way to ensure the safety of your production, avoiding damages and problems. Taking care of all the pests and termites in industries, you will be able to build customer loyalty and make them your main advertisement. Call our services of pest or termite control in Lahore to make a complete diagnosis for pest or termite control. Each environment has its peculiarity. For this reason, environmental analysis is fundamental for the creation of the best strategies of our Pest Control Service in Lahore. From this visit, our technicians can draw up an efficient plan for the safety of your environment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Water tanks are present in homes, condominiums, commercial buildings, among other places. These tanks, in turn, need water tank services in Lahore, as they are exposed to many weather conditions, so there is a waterproofing company in the market. Shamsi Home Solution has developed a new technology for providing water tank services in Pakistan, in order to offer more efficient solutions than those available on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am searching for Deemak Control in Lahore over the Internet I found your blog can you refer me best Pest Control Service? Thanks

    ReplyDelete